yum dead in water, only evidence of server is ping response

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 4 21:02:41 UTC 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 15:54, Jeff Vian wrote:
[...]
>> >Bingo! The problem is with the yum.conf trying to hit the redhat
>> > server which is overloaded. Try using the sample yum.conf
>> > available at this url:
>> >
>> >http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/samples/yum.conf
>> >
>> >You'll see a big improvement!
>>
>> And this one works, except I forgot to put in the exclude=kernel*
>> line :-)
>>
>> >Hope this helps,
>> >Clint
>
>Clint:
>Why do you use the "exclude=kernel"?

Because I have been running bleeding edge 2.6 kernels since this was a
rh8 box, and all the utilities for that are already in place.  I
don't even know if a 2.4 series kernel will even boot on this machine
although I still have about 3 of them as the first 3 entries in my
grub.conf.  Currently running 2.6.7-mm3 because the -mm4 and -mm5's
have a truely serious network speed problem on this machine as well
as many others who've reported it on lkml.

I can't code very well anymore, not on this "big iron" but have done
many many hundreds of kilobytes on the 8/16 bitters in decades past,
some in an early dialect of C, some in assembly, and almost as much
with nothing more than a machine code monitor to enter hex code with.
I'm gettin on in years (69) as they say, but I can sure build the
latest kernels and supply "another set of eyeballs" type reports to
the rest of the list readers.  Besides, the one time I let the older
up2date do a kernel for me, the box was dead on the reboot (the new
kernel up2date put in wasn't for my hardware) and I had to go find a
floppy boot that worked and edit the lilo and rerun it, which put my
firewall out of business for a day while I scrounged up the floppy
from a friend running the same distro on the same mobo.

We have a saying here in West Virginia, country boy dumb maybe, but
not stupid.  Or at least I'd like to think so. :-)

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.