no alsa audio

Mike Payst linuxgruven at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 23:06:51 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>?? ALSA is included in FC2, so you should have alsa-lib and alsa-utils at
>least.

My error.  The alsa rpms installed are:
alsa-lib-1.0.3a-2
alsa-utils-1.0.3-1

>The alsactl lines are missing:
>
>install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

My /etc/modprobe.conf is now:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 forcedeth
# kill IPV6 - 02Jul2004MWP
alias net-pf-10 off
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias usb-controller1 usb-ohci
alias usb-controller2 ehci-hcd

install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.3 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

>ALSA starts with various audio channels set to volume zero and "mute".
>system-config-soundcard pushes up the volume level for the test sound.
>And the user should run alsamixer, un-mute the channels, and the
>shutdown/reboot process would save the mixer settings. modprobe.conf would
>restore them at boot time upon loading the kernel drivers.

Used alsamixer to set the volume levels that were settable (all but 2)
and still no change in behavior with RealPlayer8 (I still have the RP8
from FC1 installed).

The radio station of interest offers only RealAudio, MP3, and Windows
Media streams.  What is the simplest to install/maintain player for one
of these streams?