Fedora core 3 feature requests

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Jul 5 00:28:32 UTC 2004

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>Fedora core 3 -  Feature requests
>---------------------------------------
>I am not sure whether it is too late but I will post
>my thoughts on the upcoming fedora core 3 release.

It's not late. The schedule has only been released  two days ago.

>Things that will not be there
>------------------------------------
>
>Since many people using bring this up I am adding this
>upfront to avoid unnecessary stuff. All these have
>potential legal issues and probably will not be
>included
>
>Mp3 playback
>DVD playback
>Mono
>NTFS support
>All your favorite software :-)

Should change the last one to "All your favorite software which has a
restrictive license and/or problems with the DMCA"

>Feature Requests
>---------------------
>
>* Organisation of packages
>
>	CD reorganisation to realise the goals of seperating
>the packages as core, alternatives and extras. This
>would mean that Fedora core would just be 1 CD where
>we will get the defaults for many stuff. The rest
>would be available in other CD's not part of core.
>Those who download all the CD's will have no
>difference and will be able to choose the stuff they
>like instead of the defaults

This is not simple. Many people have asked this , but so far no one
started working on comps.xml... And this is no simple task...
If people start now , maybe in FC4 or FC5 the job will be finished.

>Documentation
>----------------
>Basic docs like Installation and reference guides.

Initially , the docs for RHL 9.0 still aply for FC. But some changes are
needed.. I cant tell for sure , but I bet that people willing to help
are welcome.... More details in
http://www.fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/ .

>Security
>----------
>
>Disable as much as services by default as possible or
>provide an option during installation to do it the way
>the user wants with good defaults.

Why not place some new reports on bugzilla about this? I never cared
about the defaults , as I change them so fast I dont even have the time
to get  used to them :)
If you think some of the current services enabled could (and should) be
disabled by default , just explain why and probably they'll be changed
for the next version.

>Community
>-------------
>
>Open up cvs/subversion access to packages
>Include a wiki
>Provide packaging guidelines
>Allow volunteers to include packages.
>Get  upstream developers involved in bug reports and
>packaging if possible
>Incorporate the fedora planet for blogs
>Provide links to all fedora related sites

No idea about those.. You should ask this to the redhat folks... But I
believe that the packaging guidelines will probably fit those used by
fedora.us.

>Misc
>------
>* Include a groupware suite - Kolab ?
>* Command line equivalents to system-config-* for what
>is missing
>* System-config-packages should have an option to
>install third party packages
>* Udev - Enabled by default ( Gnome volume manager
>requires it, good thing)
>* SELinux - Enabled by default ( needs good exposure)
>* NX Support other than VNC - see
>http://dot.kde.org/1088363665/ ( Better speed, more
>features)
>* Include clamav for scanning windows viruses (Useful
>for Hetrogenous networks and web hosting)

For a list of things planned (and what people have asked) , check the
threads at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-July/msg00056.html
and
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-July/msg00068.html .