Logitech Webcam(USB) New Errors Posted

Murali Parth muralinux48 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 03:32:24 UTC 2004

Hello List !
Sorry to bother you again, but with fresher errors.I
downloaded the driver for Logitech QUICKCAM EXPRESS
from the site : http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net.Then
after extracting I ran the script "quickcam.sh" and
the following are the messages I got.It seems that the
problem lies with detection of the  device.When I do
an ls -l /dev/video0 and  it displays the major,minor
nos. as 81 & 0 and /dev/video as 81 & 1.I removed the
file hwconf and ran "kudzu".It detects the USB
controller as "desc: "VIA Technologies|VT82xxxxx UHCI
USB 1.1 Controller" .Now the result of quickcam.sh
follows :

'Now everything should be well and the driver
compiled.
Let's then try actually loading the fresh driver and
testing
if it works.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
To load the driver, I need to know the root password.
=== Entering root mode ===

I will now try to enable the SysRq key.
If your computer crashes, you can try pressing:
        Alt + SysRq + S: Emergency Sync (write
everything on hard disk)
        Alt + SysRq + U: Unmount all harddisks
        Alt + SysRq + B: Reboot system immediately
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
Now I finally will try to load the module.
If you're unlucky, your computer might crash right
now!!!!
Consider long if you really want to continue.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
You decided to do it, here we go...
=== Leaving root mode ===
The driver detected the following supported cameras:
[!] No cameras detected.
Try unloading and reloading the driver manually with
        rmmod quickcam; insmod ./quickcam.ko debug=-1
and then checking whether there are any messages
indicating
problems with command
        dmesg
WARNING: I'll try to continue anyway, but this
probably will fail.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
I will be using , if there are more cameras I'll not
test them.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
Testing if  is correct.
ls: : No such file or directory
ls: : No such file or directory
./quickcam.sh: line 547: [: too many arguments
ls: : No such file or directory
ls: : No such file or directory
[!]  major number is .
Usually it should be 81, so there are problems ahead.
WARNING: I'll try to continue anyway, but this
probably will fail.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->

Right now driver is loaded and ready to run.
If you like, you can quit now and start using the
camera -
you have good chances that it works, if no problems
were detected.
If you have X Window System running and xawtv
installed,
I can now run it automatically for you.
You will then also have opportunity to install the
driver permanently.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
Launching xawtv (press q on xawtv window to quit
it)...
        xawtv -noscale -noxv -c ""
This is xawtv-3.92, running on Linux/i686
(2.6.5-1.358)
v4l-conf: option requires an argument -- c
usage: v4l-conf  [ options ]

    -q        quiet
    -d <dpy>  X11 Display     [:0.0]
    -c <dev>  video device    [/dev/video0]
    -b <n>    displays color depth is <n> bpp
    -s <n>    shift display by <n> bytes
    -f        query frame buffer device for info
    -a <addr> set framebuffer address to <addr>
              (in hex, root only, successful
autodetect
               will overwrite this address)
    -1        force v4l API
    -2        force v4l2 API
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
v4l2: open : No such file or directory
v4l2: open : No such file or directory
v4l: open : No such file or directory
no video grabber device available

Well, did it work, did you get a picture?
If you did, you might now want to install the driver
permanently. Just proceed to do that...
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
Just an extra warning: the driver (quickcam.ko) and
the utility (qcset) will be now copied into system
directories. If you have already other versions,
they will be overwritten. Verify by giving root
password.
=== Entering root mode ===
/usr/bin/install -c -D -m 644 quickcam.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/misc/quickcam.ko
/usr/bin/install -c -D -m 755 qcset
/usr/local/bin/qcset
/sbin/depmod -a
=== Leaving root mode ===
Hopefully the driver is now installed and can be
loaded
with command
        modprobe quickcam
as root. You can put this command into some startup
script to do it always automatically at boot.
The exact location depends on distribution, and this
script is yet too dumb to do this automatically.
Press Ctrl+C to quit, Enter to continue --->
Goodbye... '
Then I did the following :
[root at muralinux qc-usb-0.6.0]# modprobe quickcam
[root at muralinux qc-usb-0.6.0]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
quickcam               59060  0
ohci_hcd               14748  0
uhci_hcd               23708  0
tuner                  15380  0
bttv                  129292  0
video_buf              14468  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            7304  1 bttv
v4l2_common             4864  1 bttv
btcx_risc               3592  1 bttv
i2c_core               16388  3
tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit
videodev                6656  2 quickcam,bttv