Fix Broken RPM System?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon Jul 5 05:43:40 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Jul 4, Ben Steeves did say:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:58:23 -0500, Ryan R. La Mothe
> <ryanrlamothe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > (read:  I have more important things to do with my day than spend 6+ hours trying to find out > how to properly rebuild an RPM database) to find answers to common problems such as
> > RPM.
>
> Perhaps, if your time is so important that you can't afford to spend a
> few hours solving your own problems, you should buy an OS with
> support, like RHEL or That Other OS.  Preaching to a list such as this
> is unlikely to win you any converts.

Thank you Ben! I was about to post a less polite version of the same
basic suggestion you so tactfully made to Ryan <sarcasm> who seams to
actually believe that the generally helpful people on this list who do so
much work to provide FREE support for a FREE operating system have a lot
of nerve to expect those who want help with it to be willing to make an
effort. I guess the experts OWE it to him on a silver platter...</sarcasim>

Still I suppose that to Ryan, his problem was very important, and quite
possibly he was under some deadline that didn't give him much time for
the personal research he had to do to solve what was for him a real show
stopper. I can understand that the frustration could lead to a real bad
mood. Which could explain the attitude.

I'd laugh if it didn't make me feel sick inside to realize how little
some people appreciate the nice helpful people that hang out here. I get
this terrible sinking feeling that one to many attitudes like Ryan's
will someday cause one of the resident experts to reach such a level of
frustration as to give up on helping people here.

I mean it must be bad enough that people often don't spend much time
looking for an answer before asking for help. Heck even some of the ones
that do usually look for their own answers sometimes forget to bother.
But then to have to endure the attitude of people who are upset with them
for not providing a level of support that I don't think can even be
expected from paid support people...

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #