no alsa audio

Mike Payst linuxgruven at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 10:42:21 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>RealPlayer8 does not use ALSA devices most likely, but OSS devices and
>mixers, so that may be important. system-config-soundcard examines the
>running kernel version and chooses either amixer (ALSA) or aumix (OSS)
>to set the volume levels for the test sound.
>
>Also interesting to know would be whether any other audio applications
>work when RealPlayer8 doesn't work and then checking /sbin/lsmod to find
>out whether maybe some driver is not loaded automatically or whether it is
>a mixer problem actually.

Hmmm....  This morning when I started RP8 the welcome sounds played at
once.  I'm pretty sure that I re-booted last night after changing
/etc/modprobe.conf and running alsamixer but maybe I didn't.  RP8 does
still start alsasound:

root at linuxgruven root# service alsasound status
ALSA sound driver loaded.

Anyway, I also use RP8 to play video clips from Fine Woodworking and
that works OK too.

Thank you for your patient assistance and I learned a bit more about alsa.