Upgrade from RH 9 to Fedora Core 2

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Mon Jul 5 11:12:28 UTC 2004

Hi Robert!

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 12:58, Purvis Robert wrote:
> I have been using RH 9 for a while and am now considering upgrading to
> Fedora Core 2. Can I just run an update, that will maintain my /home
> directory or do I need to a completely new install?

I have updated four different computers here. Two from fully updated
Fedora 1, one from Fedora 2 test3, and one from RedHat 7.3 (fully
updated.) I updated using a start-CD and my own ftp-server with the
DVD-iso mounted as /var/ftp/fedora (the ftp-server was updated using the
harddisc method.) I experienced no problems of any significance. In
usual maner I went through all *.rpmsave/*.rpmnew files I could find
(find / -name *.rpm???*) and corrected what needed to be corrected
(could be an idea to do this *before* doing the upgrade if you have not
done this before!)

Three of the computers were dual-boot, one win98 (and also MS-DOS 6.22
:-), one was Win-2000, and one Win-XP. In no case did I lose the ability
to dual-boot (I saved the MBR record though before upgrading, just in
case...)

The computer running RedHat 7.3 has been updated with upgrades (no new
installs) since RedHat 4.2 without any problems.

If you have a fully updated system, with few non-RedHat rpms, I think
you should be OK!

Others have not been so lucky. YMMV... :-)

/Lars