Putty and screen command

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 17:22:27 UTC 2004

Edwin Dicker wrote:
> I'm usinf FC2 now for some time. I connect to it with Putty. I notice that
> when I use the screen command that I cannot scrollback anymore within putty.
> Without using screen I can scrollback. It looks like Putty doesnt keep a
> scrollback buffer, but it does ( when I copnnect to FC1 I do not have this
> problem )
> I Suspect it has something to do with TERM setting maybe ?

Screen does scrollback internally (ctrl-A esc to get into it, esc to
abort). In order to do this, it uses terminfo. This takes it out of the
normal "raw" "type at the bottom, and output scrolls off the top" mode,
and puts the terminal into "cooked" "the application controls what is
painted where" mode.

Screen then uses cooked mode to emulate the raw mode, but by this time,
PuTTY scrolling has been turned off (it doesn't usually make sense in
cooked mode).

In other words, this is normal, and an unavoidable result of 1970s
terminal technology (and it hasn't really gone much further).

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | Never ask, "Oh, why were things so much better
westexe.demon.co.uk    | in the old days?"