where to put apache in startup order

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jul 5 20:16:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 10:41, Henry Leparskas wrote:
> Thanks for the great suggestions.
> This 'chkconfig' is a nice feature. I see that it makes the symbolic link
> very nicely. It uses S85. Okay. Fair enough.
>
> I still wonder why making the link manually doesn't work.
>
> I'm getting old!
>
> Thanks again.
>
> HEnry

I am wondering why you are looking at the link in /etc/rd2.d/ for
apache.??

What run level are you actually in?  Most of us are in run level 3
(console mode) or run level 5 (graphics mode).

Run level 2 is seldom used, although certainly possible.

My inittab file has this as the descriptions of the various run levels.
__________________
#Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#

If you are in run level 3 or 5, then changing the link in rc2.d will not
have any effect.

Using chkconfig it creates the S85 links in the current run level only
or in the run levels you explicitly list.