DHCP Server, Shorewall, IP Forwarding help

adam stokes ajs at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 20:36:04 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>adam stokes wrote:
>

>>Outline : Server w/ 2 nics, Workstation on local network., Shorewall
>>firewall for IP Masq, DHCP Server
>>Problem : Not able to ping outside local network from workstation.
>>
>>What does work:
>>DHCP server setup and hands out Lan IP's defined through the range in
>>dhcpd.conf
>>Server can ping outside network
>>Workstation can ping server
>>Have used sample configs for Shorewall which outline my lan setup.
>>I have checked to make sure IP Forwarding is turned on, and that
>>iptables,shorewall, and dhcp server are started, ifconfig on server
>>shows eth0 bounded to the ISP and eth1 bounded to lan ip given out by
>>dhcp server.
>>IFConfig on workstation shows IP given out by DHCP server as well.
>>

>On the workstation, what is the output of route ? Or of
>traceroute www.bbc.co.uk
>or
>tracert 212.58.224.111
>
>Thanks,
>
>James.

ok once i added the correct dns stuff in my /etc/resolv.conf file it was
able to resolve url's rather than by ip.. so im guessing setting the
correct dns info. in all workstations in their resolv.conf file is the
correct way to resolve ip's outside of the network? using the setup i
have of course

adam