nightmare...

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 16:07:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:40:30AM -0700, Jonathan Ng wrote:
> I'm having the worst nightmare of my life! I
> highlighted my problems with booting up Windows after
> installing FC2.
>
> A kind soul pointed me to a manual, and I also did
> Googled the problem. Tried doing it to no avail.
>
> Finally, I got sick and tired of FC2. And tried to
> re-install Windows XP. I tried repairing, I tried
> installing Suse Linux, I even removed the entire swap
> and ext3 partition. But Windows NEVER boots up. Now,
> my hard disk is nearly useless. All thanks to the
> wonderful F-ing FC2.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> By the way, it seems that this problem was around
> since FC1, why the hell didn't they fix it?!?!

This is most likely the well known problem with dual booting FC2
and Windows. It is a kernel 2.6 issue, not a Fedora issue. If you
Google for "fedora dual boot windows" you'll get lots of helpful
info. Here's a good link to the article on fixing it.
<http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/>
It's actually a post to the developer's list.

Since you don't have Fedora on the system at the moment, you may
need to reinstall to fix the bug. Try to go into the BIOS and set
your hard drive to LBA mode rather that Auto, and that may just
fix the problem. If it doesn't follow what the article says.
If that still doesn't work, you'll need to come back here with more
specifics, like what exactly you did, what commands you issued,
and what error messages you got.