Startup problem

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Tue Jul 6 17:27:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 02:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> There are instructions at the bottom of the grub screen, pick the
> kernel you want to boot, hit the magic 'edit' key combo, then add the
> word single to the end of the displayed line, and remove the 'ro' in
> the middle of it and hit the enter key.  This will put you in single
> user mode and let you try to fix it.

Gene,

Actually the removal of the ro is probably redundant....

When the kernel boots, it mounts the root filesystem (normally
read-only) based on the existence of the ro.  This is so later, we can
still do an fsck on the filesystem (cannot do it on a filesystem that is
mounted rw, but can on one mounted ro).

Now, the word "single", "s" or "S" as a kernel parameter gets passed to
init that boots us into single user mode.  Single user mode will run
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, which will then "remount" the root filesystem
read-write after checking it and should mount the rest of your
filesystems after checking them also.  Of course, if fsck fails, we end
up getting dumped into an sulogin shell to try to repair the filesystem.

Personally, I use an "a", "space", "s", "Enter" to boot myself into
single user mode.

--Rob