redhat tutorial

Jonathan Steadman FedoraCore at stny.rr.com
Tue Jul 6 17:51:36 UTC 2004

damon fister wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>My freind and I are looking to start a project that could be
>incorporated into Fedora/RHEL. It would be a new user tutorial, similar
>to ones that you see on other OS's (we won't mention names here) when a
>user first uses the desktop. It would have the goal of getting a new
>Linux users acclimated to Fedora/RHEL quickly. Users would be shown the
>basics briefly, how to start programs, move resize windows, etc. and
>highlight linux specific items in particular, using workspace switcher,
>Up2date and application alternatives. We would like as much feedback as
>we can get and if there are any projects like this currently in
>development.
>
>Damon Fister

This to me sounds like a great idea, it is a scary world, for new users,
that go from the O.S. "who's names wont be mentioned", to going to
Redhat or Fedora.  I know from expierience, and I have only been using
this OS a few months, I switched because I wanted to learn more about
running a secure server, and being just 16 years of age i figured it
would give me some much coveted expierience.  When I first switched to
Redhat 8 and then FC1, I was really clueless about what to do.  I
luckily knew someone who was willing to help, being expierenced in using
Redhat's products amongst other versions of linux, he did a good job
introducing me, other people might not be lucky enough to know such a
person.
    Anyways to kind of wrap it up I think that this would be a huge step
for the FC project, simply because many people hear about anything other
than what they are used to, and typically they become "scared" of the
change.  I think a lot of people would be a little more comforitable
switching to FC, if FC project did take the initiative to introduce
every new user with the basics, as well as maybe let them know of a
couple good forums where they could get support, on possable hardware,
issues, especially those that end up with the following nightmare, being
stuck with an N'Vidia, board, that doesn't seem to get along with Fedora
well.  Just reading this mailing list, and seeing the constant conflict
between nvidias boards and the O.S.
    Thats why I think you should mention some reputable linux forums as
well, because they have helped me a couple times with my board issues.