slow DNS lookups in Fedora Core 2

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Jul 6 20:35:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:06:03AM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

	:

> There have been 3 different fixes posted on this.
>
> Rudolfo just sent "That was "alias net-pf-10 off". Also "install ipv6
> /bin/true" if I recall correctly." regarding lines to put in
> /etc/modprobe.conf .

	This is what you need.

> I also use the line "NETWORKING_IPV6=no" in my /etc/sysconfig/network
> file.  Reading the /etc/init.d/network file it seems that this is the
> only one needed but I have not tested that to see.

	This will NOT do the trick.  The default is already "no".
The problem is not that IPv6 is enabled, it's that IPv6 is getting
loaded AND NOT ENABLED.  It's not enabled in /etc/sysconfig/network,
so none of the init scripts are running on it, but some application
is making explicit reference to the protocol family so the ipv6 module
is loaded and not properly configured.  So you've got a protocol
family loaded and not properly configured.  Geee...  Guess I'm not
surprised at the problems people are having with THAT.

> At least some combination of these three work because it fixed mine. (I
> have all 3 lines in place)

	The solution is to kill the protocol family in modprobe.conf
(which does NOT prohibit someone from explicitly loaded the module, that
only prohibits the kernel module loader from automatically loading it)
or, possibly, to turn "NETWORKING_IPV6=yes" (which will result in it
being properly configured, which MAY solve the DNS delay problems).

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/