install mbr without running install-grub ?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Tue Jul 6 23:11:29 UTC 2004

John Minson wrote:

>Let me restate the question. The /boot dir on hd1 has all of the stages,kernel,grub conf files but hd1 has no 'mbr/boot block ...' . Currently the bios says to boot from hd0 . I want to change the bios setting to boot from hd1 but hd1 is not currently 'bootable' . How do I make hd1 'bootable' from a bios standpoint without running grub-install .
>
>John Minson
>Senior J.O.A.T.M.O.N
>Scientific Research Corporation
>3860 Faber Place Drive
>Suite 100
>North Charleston,SC,29405
>
>jminson at scires.com
>(843) 740-3336 (office)

We do not know exactly what partition holds your /boot filesystem, but
what you need o write an mbr on hdb is probably a slight variation on
this, wherein /boot is in hdb1:

grub> device (hd0) /dev/hdb

grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 /grub/grub
.conf"... succeeded
Done.

grub> quit