problem installing fedora 2 x86-64 on a intel xeon 64 bits

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jul 7 02:07:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 18:19, James Wilkinson wrote:
> ne wrote:
> > Seems I stand corrected. I did some Googlle research myself and saw
> > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=59918.
> > I quote:
> >
> > 'With its newly announced 'Nocona' Xeon processors - which clock
> > speeds ranging from 2.8 to 3.6GHz - Intel brings 64-bit memory
> > addressing to its 32-bit server processor. The aim is to provide
> > greater support for the high-level number crunching tasks of the
> > workstation market.'
> >
> > So I guess the question becomes do FC kernels have support for
> > this chip yet?
>
> Jeff Vian objected:
> > This is 64bit memory addressing on a 32bit processor. This is PLAINLY
> > stated above.  It is not likely the 64bit kernel will work.
> >
> > I also would guess the chipsets to support that are very new.
>
> Umm ... no. And yes.
>
> Decoding Intel statements is often an artform.

So you are saying they are spinning it, masking the true capabilities?
Or are they spinning it, trying to say it does something it doesn't.  I
am confused, and so I stick with AMD as a rock solid workhorse.

Rereading the info above it seems that even if this is a 64bit chip the
kernel does not see it as 64 bit so ......