redhat tutorial

damon fister damon at cns-tech.net
Wed Jul 7 13:49:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 20:25, jludwig wrote:

> > >I've been doing a similar thing - I just archived off all my Fedora posts
> > >this evening. I think you're on the right track with this one. I don't know
> > >if you've seen the weekly FAQ posted in here but that was an equally good
> > >idea to give people a leg up.
> > >
> > >My first linux book still sits on my shelf as a reminder, all dog eared with
> > >umpteen page markers glued in and referenced. Anything that gives people a
> > >hand I'm all for.
> > >
> > >Bryan
> > >

> > Great idea.  The problem will be balancing the need to cover basics for
> > beginners, and perhaps written for a non-technical audience, with some
> > structure that allows people to click in to see more detail and
> > increasing complexity where they have an interest.

This is along the lines of what we hope to accomplish, It will most
likely take the form of an applet that will run once when users log in
for the first time and will be made available for later viewing via the
accessories menu. We want to use as much portable code as possible to
avoid gtk+/qt dependence and are leaning towards a flash based app using
an embedded player, if this is a problem with Red Hat Legal we will be
more than happy to develop with a different language.And we are of
course open for suggestions as to the best (read cross desktop
environment) language to use.

> > I recommend people work on an outline of topics covered first, and then
> > choose from the wealth of sources between list archives, how-tos, etc.
> > for material to rewrite and incorporate

Right now we are in process of coming up with 25 - 50 items of intrest
for new users. These will be condensed down so the entire presentation
lasts ideally 10 minutes and at most 15 minutes.

>  with an eye toward constency,
> > style, and the intended audience.
Easy to use and functional is great, but it's better when it looks
pretty :-)

> > And there is a project for documentation, which may already have a lot
> > of this hashed out.  No sense in re-inventing or competing here.  See
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/

Inclusion in the documentation project may occur further down the line.

We appreciate all the positive response and we will work hard to deliver
a great project in the next couple of months.

Damon