Update from FC1 to FC2

Brian A. Kee bkee at lurhq.com
Wed Jul 7 15:07:41 UTC 2004

Seems like there should be a way to perform an upgrade without booting from
a CDROM. In my case, several of the systems that I operate/maintain are at
remote locations. I like to keep them fairly up to date, however I do not
wish to travel to each site every year or so to upgrade the system manually
(not to mention the downtime associated with the upgrade). I am trying to
come up with a way upgrade them via RPM updates only. There has to be a way
to deal with this.

All of the systems in question are base installs with a few 3rd party
packages, so I do not really have the need for desktop related utilities, or
large quatities of users. In fact I am only using something like 199 system
packages (RPM) during the install (not including the 3rd party
applications).

The only package that, based upon my experience, would give me a problem
might be kernel updates, or packages that are directly related the kernel. I
have completed RPM kernel upgrades in the past with great success. Though I
am cautiious about RPM kernel upgrades, I am confident in dealing with them.

It seems to me that the progression to a new release version is dependant
upon the previous release version, therefore it seems logical that an
upgrade path from one release version to the next should be viable.

I do no believe that I am the first person to think up something like this.

Thank You for the input!

BAK