Keeping the Thread with Digest

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Jul 7 16:28:19 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Jul 7, John Cox did say:

> I receive the list as a digest. Is there an easy way to respond to a
> specific message and keep the thread true?  I've been doing a lot of
> cut and paste but there must be an easier way.

That depends:

A) on your mail client.
B) on whether you get the digest in mime or plain text form.

If you get it as a mime digest then an intelligent mail client should be
able to let you open and reply to an individual message from within the
digest.

I _USED_TO_ get the mime digest (still have some in my fedora folder) so
I just opened one with pine, selected a message from the attachment list,
and hitting enter.  ( in pine would be one of the lines tagged as
"Message," <see below> ) once the individual message was opened I hit
reply, edited the To: address to my own mailbox and sent myself a reply.
Examining the reply that was delivered to my inbox with pines show all
headers mode I was able to confirm that the "In-Reply-To: header did
have the message id from the original individual message, and NOT the
message id from the whole digest.

So if you get the mime digest version and use a good email program such
as pine, it is doable... incidentally, this also prevents having to do all
that cut and paste as pine will quote only the individually selected
attachment instead of the whole digest. if it matters I'm using the
PINE 4.60 package from the dag repository...

The following "=>" quoted lines were clipped from pines view of the
attachment index of an old digest...

=>    1      Shown     13 lines  Text, "fedora-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 46"
=>    2      Shown     23 lines  Text, "Today's Topics (17 messages)"
=>    3        OK                Multipart/Digest
=>    3.1    Shown    1.8 KB     Message, "Re: Acrobat Reader problem"
=>    3.1.1  Shown     26 lines  Text
=>    3.2    Shown      1 KB     Message, "Re: Acrobat Reader problem"
=>    3.2.1  Shown     16 lines  Text

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #