Sound is gone after X crashes

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Wed Jul 7 17:07:58 UTC 2004

Hi,

I was enjoying my FC2 and sound for some weeks now. Using file-roller to
open a zip file containing 3 pixs, file-rooler crashed my X sessions, I
mean I did not have any more icons (Computer, etc...) on my desktop.

Logout : freeze screen .

Ctrl-Alt_Backspace

Login (gnome as default): same result.

Reboot : My desktop is back but my sound is gone.

I checked alsamixer : the levels are OK.
I have no more gnome sound. No more evolution sound. I think no sound at
all ;-) Even the testing sound card does not work any more.

Sound card driver : snd-end1371

modprobe.conf

alias eth0 8139too
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
install snd-ens1371  /sbin/modprobe pcspkr && /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install snd-ens1371 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
remove snd-ens1371 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ens1371
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
install ipv6 /bin/true

I want to say again that everything was working before killing X.

No specific message in /var/log/messages or dmesg.

If somebody has another idea ... ?

Philippe

--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand(e)