termcap/terminfo with screen and BitchX on FC2

Corey Welton corey at wiw.org
Wed Jul 7 17:18:09 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

 >Try "LANG=C;export LANG" before running BitchX. FC2 defaults to UTF
 >language settings and BitchX is designed for the "C" locale.

I came across this thread while trying to find a solution to what
appears to be the same problem.  Specifically, trying to run 'BitchX' in
screen, although the particular instance of 'screen' is running on a
remote shell.

basically, I am SSHing, via gnome terminal, from my Fedora box to a
remote system, and running screen.  Within screen, I am trying to run
BitchX.  Unfortunately, as the parent message in this thread indicates,
BitchX gets terribly garbled.  A sample screenshot can be seen here:

http://wiw.org/~corey/bad-bitchx.png

Note that this happens on a variety of different remote systems that I
have tried, and only began to happen once I started using fedora, so I
am fairly sure it will be an issue I will have to resolve on my end.

In any case, using the recommendation Rick Stevens made above, in a
variety of difference permutations (i.e., changing the LANG env on my
local shell, on the remote shell before running screen, and on the
remote screen session before running BitchX, as well as any combination
therein), I was unsuccessful in resolving this issue.  Does anyone else
have any recommendations as how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Corey.

--
corey at wiw dot org   :"If we can't persuade nations with comparable
        *              :values of the merit of our cause, we'd better