Assistance for newbies?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 7 17:52:46 UTC 2004

Edward Croft wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 13:49, James Kosin wrote:
>
>><clip>Sounds like an excellent IDEA.
>>
>>But, one question.....
>>~   How many people actually read the current footer on every message?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>James Kosin
>>

> There's a footer? :-P  Seriously, I think it is a good idea too.
> Especially the info being sent with the info sent out when they join.
> There is also the monthly notification/reminder that goes out.
> We will still get the same questions, but maybe with less frequency.

No, you won't.  I'm a frequent poster to the old Red Hat Install List
and we still get "How do I unsubscribe?" questions.  The footer is
generally ignored by most folk.  The monthly notification thingie is
probably the best medium but it won't cut down on the newbie questions
all that much.

IMHO, a "fedora-install-list" or "fedora-newbies" list would be a good
thing--a place for newbies to gather with a much more limited archive
for searching.  Often a newbie doesn't even know what to look for in
the first place.  Cutting down on the more advanced subjects might make
it easier for them.

Matt G.?  Are you listening?  Can you offer an opinion?
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -