DVD Playback Problem with ogle, xine, mplayer

Ian Hilliard i.hilliard at hilliardtech.com
Wed Jul 7 18:22:34 UTC 2004

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:08:42 -0400
From: Clint Harshaw <clint at penguinsolutions.org>
Subject: DVD Playback Problem with ogle, xine, mplayer
To: fedora-list at redhat.com

I've installed a new Teac DVD/CDRW in my Fedora Core 1 machine. I can't
get DVD movies to play. The video card is an nVidia with their drivers
installed. The processor is a Celeron 1.7MHz with 256MB of RAM.

Here are the things I have tried along with the results I see happen:

I've installed xine* and ogle* with yum install xine* ogle*.
I've also installed libdvd* using yum install libdvd*.
I've installed mplayer* using yum install mplayer*.

< rest snipped >

The problems look like the one that I had before building libdecss and
libdvdnav. I got the sources from links at the ogle home site.

It was then a simple matter of unzipping the sources into a directory in
my home directory. Then running ./configure && make. On completion sudo
make install.

I noticed that the libs needed to be in the lib path, which required
editing /etc/ld.so.conf and putting in the line /usr/local/lib

In the end, it is necessary to do an sudo /sbin/ldconfig

After that, you should be able to view DVDs.

Just a word of note: libdecss is illegal in the USA, where the DMCA puts
the wishes of large corporations ahead of the valid rights of people to
view their legally purchased DVDs on computers running operating systems
other than Windows and MacOS.

Ian