mail folders

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 7 18:43:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, ecowper at frontiernet.net wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been around UNIX for a long time, mostly Solaris, but also Linux.
> However, it's all in a server/data center environment, never done the
> desktop *nix thing. So, after my wife's latest very nasty Windows
> malware experience, I moved her PC to Fedora Core 2. That went very
> well, with one major exception.
>
> I need to move her mail folders from Mozilla on Windows to Mozilla on
> FC2. Anyone done this or have any advice?

Simple copy doesn't work? (with perhaps dos2unix)

My recommendation for such transactions is to always use an IMAP
server as in intermediate step.

- copy local mail/folders on to the imap server [on the old machine/email-client]
- copy mail/folders from the imap server to the local machine [on the new machine/email-client]

Satish