Newbie FTP question

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jul 7 21:02:43 UTC 2004

At 02:02 PM 7/7/2004, Shadow wrote:
>...so now I am working on the FTP server.  I can't access it tho'.  The
>error says that the directory can't be accessed....so I have been looking
>around....what directory?  I never configured one!   So where do I find
>where the FTP root is?  None of my books state that and I looked thru
>files that I am a reasonable shade of blue and STILL can't figure it out.
>Can anyone help?

As root, issue this command:

# grep ftp /etc/passwd

You'll get one line of output which is the ftp user's entry in the password
file. You will almost certainly see there the path "/var/ftp"; that is the
FTP root directory.

You can change that if you wish by simply editing the file. Remember how
much trouble you can get into by making a mistake in the password file, so
BE CAREFUL! I personally make a /home/ftp directory on most systems that
need it, since FTP is generally data and I usually just back up my config
files and the /home partition. But you can put it wherever you like, really.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com