nautilus crash

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 7 23:53:49 UTC 2004

Philip A. Pearson wrote:
> Hi all,  I just downloaded the new core for the amd 64.  I am using an
> asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an AMD 64 3000+ processor.
>
> Nautilus crashes every time that I try to run it.    Does anyone know of
> a fix?

Check your /etc/fstab file.  If you have more than two items in there
with an "owner" or "user" option, there's your problem.  The most common
setups that cause this is a floppy and two or more CD/CD-R/DVD drives.
Delete one of the lines (I typically delete the DVD) and rerun nautilus.

The chain of events is:

	kudzu searches for devices
	kudzu inserts lines into /etc/fstab for the floppies and CDish
		drives it finds
	X starts
	Nautilus starts, sees this /etc/fstab and dies

So this will happen each time you boot unless you disable kudzu or boot
to run level 3, edit /etc/fstab, then "telinit 5".  There is no fix yet.

It's in bugzilla for both Fedora and Gnome.
-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -