Workstations for internet usage

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Jul 8 00:35:32 UTC 2004

gm wrote:
> Hey guys
>

> I’d want to know if there’s any open source solution to make it so
> several users can use one linux machine(gui). Basically, I’m looking to
> setup one or two computers to service 2-6 users. I want each user to
> have their own monitor, keyboard/mouse and desktop but be hooked up to
> only one machine (a server to supply open office and other necessary
> software). I was wondering if this is possible or any suggestion you
> guys had?

Yep! One of our LUG meetings featured the Linux Terminal Server Project
that was installed and is administered at a local high school
library/media center. One server runs around 20 terminals. The lab is
self-contained and used primarily as a writing center.

It's been a while since their talk, and I'm getting a case of "Old
Timer's" with the details, but I believe they used this for their solution:

http://www.ltsp.org/

perhaps this site will also be of some help:

http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html

Hope this helps,
Clint Harshaw