new question wine=installed now what?

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 04:48:58 UTC 2004

Jonathan Steadman wrote:

> I got wine installed? now it is telling me i need COMCTL32.DLL update,
> to play RA2...how do i get this?  It tries to automatically but then
> when it gets done it says...This system does not need this update.
> Can I put a dll in manually?  Also i will try the GUI I have not done
> this as of yet.  Thanks for the help getting it installed guys.

First, you need to checkout the site www.winehq.com. There is a
newsgroup com.emulators.ms-windows.wine you can subscribe to. It was a
big help for me. I was mostly using wine to run filesharing programs
like kazaa, but now I have the giFt network, which is easier since it is
native to linux. I was able to get the game Starcraft running, but it
was really slow and froze up when trying to play online. Since I have a
dual boot with windows 98SE, so I don't mess with wine a whole lot.

As for the .dll issue, Windows stores its drivers in C\windows\system.
If you have a windows machine or a dual boot setup, just copy all of you
windows driver files over to the system folder in the fake wine
directory. If not, there is a place somewhere where you can download all
the windows driver files. Check out Sourceforge, I think that is where I
saw them.

If you already have the .dll file in your wine directory, then try
messing with the dll override settings in the wine.conf file.