Any partition size suggestions ?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Thu Jul 8 06:29:43 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 07.07.2004 schrieb AdabalaP at schneider.com um 20:21:
> I have a Compaq Presiaro 1277 (laptop), with 4.8 GB hard disk, 64 MB RAM,
> 433 MHZ processor,  .....
 What should be my HD partition look
> like (e.g. /, /usr, /home, ... SWAP) given the above.

Given your HD size it's not easy to partition the HD. In a similiar
situation I did:

40 mb for /boot  (the install process complains, but you can ignore it
savely. But you should have only 2-3 generation of kernels installed in
parallel (i.e. delete very old kernels after an update)

130 mb for swap

3 gb for / and all dirs but /home

you must perform a custom install and deselect all packages you don't
need. After installation you may erase packages you don't need but could
not deselect during installation.

1.xx gb for /home

Having /home as a separate partition will make upgrades etc. much more
less painful. But in your case it may be an alternative to keep /home in
the / partition and to make a separate partition for the most important
data and mount this partition as e.g. /home/work

It may be easier to determine the needed space for this data partition
as for the / partition and you gain a lot more flexibility.

Peter