Help w/ LDAP

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 09:17:47 UTC 2004

xentek development wrote:
[snip]
> I am interested in getting LDAP set up. I would like to consolidate my
> address book, for both my windows and linux clients into an LDAP
> directory. However, I am a bit lost at getting it installed / configured
> / and running. I have found openldap directories scatterd about my
> system... and when reviewing the documentation there was a mention of
> adding config options to a sldap.conf file. only l file similiar was
> found and that was ldap.conf

If you don't have slapd and slapd.conf then you probably don't have the
openldap-servers package installed. slapd.conf should install to
/etc/openldap. This package also contains the standard LDAP schema.

openldap is split into different packages on FC1, it's probably the same on
FC2. There's the core package, openldap (for the basic functionality), the
LDAP clients package openldap-clients (ldapsearch, ldapmodify etc. for
performing manual lookups and modifications) and the LDAP server package
openldap-servers (for servers only).

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555