Logrotate Postrotate Script Error

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 10:59:06 UTC 2004

David Cary Hart wrote:
> I assume that this daily error is being generated by one of the scripts
> in /etc/logrotate.d but the specifics don't print to the syslog. If
> that's the case then this should be a somewhat universal problem. Any
> ideas?

We saw something similar in our logs after doing a FC1 > FC2 upgrade.

To see what's actually failing, manually run:

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate

..and look for error messages.

In our case the problem was that the logrotate conf script was trying to
rotate /var/log/ppp/connect-errors , which didn't exist.

Doing:

touch /var/log/ppp/connect-errors

..fixed it.