DVD Playback Problem with ogle, xine, mplayer

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 8 11:37:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 14:22, Ian Hilliard wrote:
> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:08:42 -0400
> From: Clint Harshaw <clint at penguinsolutions.org>
> Subject: DVD Playback Problem with ogle, xine, mplayer
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> I've installed a new Teac DVD/CDRW in my Fedora Core 1 machine. I can't
> get DVD movies to play. The video card is an nVidia with their drivers
> installed. The processor is a Celeron 1.7MHz with 256MB of RAM.

Okay...  Are CDs readable in the drive?  Did the drive require a region
code setting before first use?  I've had to set the region code on 2 out
of 3 DVD drives, but not on a DVD*RW.  There is at least one linux
utility to do this.  I'm sorry, I can't remember what it is.

> Here are the things I have tried along with the results I see happen:
>
> I've installed xine* and ogle* with yum install xine* ogle*.
> I've also installed libdvd* using yum install libdvd*.
> I've installed mplayer* using yum install mplayer*.
>
> < rest snipped >
>
> The problems look like the one that I had before building libdecss and
> libdvdnav. I got the sources from links at the ogle home site.

What exactly are the players telling you?  Error messages, etc.

> It was then a simple matter of unzipping the sources into a directory in
> my home directory. Then running ./configure && make. On completion sudo
> make install.
>
> I noticed that the libs needed to be in the lib path, which required
> editing /etc/ld.so.conf and putting in the line /usr/local/lib
>
> In the end, it is necessary to do an sudo /sbin/ldconfig

That sounds correct.  The RPMs from FreshRPMs might have been easier.

> After that, you should be able to view DVDs.

Could you?

> Just a word of note: libdecss is illegal in the USA, where the DMCA puts
> the wishes of large corporations ahead of the valid rights of people to
> view their legally purchased DVDs on computers running operating systems
> other than Windows and MacOS.

We'll get over it.  I wonder how the commercial linux-based DVD
player/recorders get around the DMCA?

Bob...