Easy Install and Boot from USB Hard Drive?

rab rab at nauticom.net
Thu Jul 8 11:40:47 UTC 2004

I've asked similar questions before. I've been directed to using
mkinitrd but it's kind of complicated. Does anyone know of a Linux
distribution that would be easy to install to and boot from a USB hard
drive? I thought the computer dept. at my old company was bad but the
computer dept. people at the new job are just plain Nazi's and stupid
besides. (One person told me she thought that Linux was not secure and
was virus prone.) I would prefer to dual boot the machine but if I can't
I would like to boot and run from an external USB drive. The new machine
supports booting from a USB drive - I checked the BIOS setup. I don't
want to install anything on the computer's hard drive although if I had
to boot initially from a floppy I could live with that. Surely someone
has a simple solution.

Rick B.