DVD Playback Problem with ogle, xine, mplayer

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Jul 8 13:22:45 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:

[...]

> Okay...  Are CDs readable in the drive?  Did the drive require a region
> code setting before first use?  I've had to set the region code on 2 out
> of 3 DVD drives, but not on a DVD*RW.  There is at least one linux
> utility to do this.  I'm sorry, I can't remember what it is.

Yes, I can read CD and can write data CD's okay. I bought this combo
drive as an OEM unit, so it didn't come with instructions -- so I don't
know if there is a region code setting that I should have done (or how
that is set, but I'll google for it now).

However, I can't seem to get audio out of the drive when I put an audio
CD in it.

> What exactly are the players telling you?  Error messages, etc.

I think my original post got a little messed up. Here are the details
along with error messages that were originally posted:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=108922015303984&w=2

Additionally, I am seeing these messages in /var/log/messages:

Jul  7 21:33:36 mufasa kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
Jul  7 21:34:39 mufasa kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
Jul  7 21:41:00 mufasa kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks
I recognize!

Clint