RPM vs source install...

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 13:25:58 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Andrew Konosky wrote:
>

>>I've noticed that if an rpm needs a certain dependent file, I must
>>install the rpm of that file becuase the the rpm doesn't see source
>>installs for some reason.
>>

>Because it is not designed to. Rpm stores package information in a data
>base. As such things compiled from source are not registered in the rpmdb.
>

>>For example, I am trying to install the rpm
>>k3b-mp3-0.11.9-0.lvn.1.2.i386.rpm. I got an error on the first try
>>because I didn't have all the dependencies installed first. I found all
>>but one of the dependent rpms and installed them. The last dependent
>>"libi3-3.8.so.3" I could only find in a source version
>>(id3lib-3.8.3.tar.gz). I did the whole ./configure, make, su, make
>>install and it installed with  no errors. I went to run the original rpm
>>installer, but it still says I need to install "libi3-3.8.so.3." How do
>>I get an rpm install to recognize a dependent file installed from
>>

>You are working way to hard. Go get yum or apt-rpm and add fedora.us AND
>livna.org to the config files and install k3b. On my fc1 system I get the
>following when I try to install k3b-mp3:
>
>(tigger pts10) # yum install k3b-mp3
>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>Server: Fedora.us stable
>Server: Fedora.us testing
>Server: Fedora.us Unstable
>Server: Fedora Core 1 base
>Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
>Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
>Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
>Server: Macromedia flash
>Server: noarch updates
>Server: Fedora Core 1 updates
>Finding updated packages
>Downloading needed headers
>Resolving dependencies
>Dependencies resolved
>I will do the following:
>[install: k3b-mp3 0.11.10-0.lvn.1.1.i386]
>Is this ok [y/N]:
>Exiting on user command.
>(tigger pts10) #
>
>Keep in mind I already have k3b installed but installing it was no harder
>than doing "yum install k3b". You can do the same thing with apt, but I do not
>use it, so I do not know the commands for it. I am pretty sure though it is
>not much harder than apt get k3b-mp3.
>

>>source? Is there a way to compile the source into an rpm file, then
>>install it?
>>

>Yes, but I would recommend against doing that, especially given that all of
>the k3b rpms are available already.
>
>HTH,
>
>Tom

Okay, I'll try that. It sounds a lot faster and easier ;). I'm still new
to Linux. I had been running RH8 & 9.1 for a while, but just for web
browsing and e-mail and experimenting with stuff like wine. Now that I
am into it more, I am trying to get away from windows as much as I can,
except for my games...

Thanks!