Audio CD Problem w/ DVD/CDRW

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Jul 8 13:57:00 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:
> I've posted a problem with DVD playback on this new Teach DVD/CDRW that
> I have just installed, however, I can't play any audio CD's.
>
> I do get sound from movies, but I am not getting any sound from music CD's.
>
> I insert a music CD, click on Redhat -> Sound & Video -> CD Player, and
> the response I get is the gui comes up, the progress bar indicates the
> CD is playing, the corrent names of the songs are there, but there is no
> music. I have turned up the volume on the CD player as well.
>
> Ideas for me to try?
>
> Clint

Here are some pieces of possibly relevant information from
/var/log/messages:

Jul  8 09:49:45 mufasa kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is
a disc in the drive.
Jul  8 09:50:04 mufasa last message repeated 20 times
Jul  8 09:50:07 mufasa kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
Jul  8 09:50:12 mufasa last message repeated 2 times
Jul  8 09:50:14 mufasa kernel: sr0: disc change detected.