Any partition size suggestions ?

M3 Freak m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Jul 8 14:24:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 14:21, AdabalaP at schneider.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a Compaq Presiaro 1277 (laptop), with 4.8 GB hard disk, 64 MB RAM,
> 433 MHZ processor,  Want to install FC2 replacing Windows 98. Primary usage
> will be as a workstation (development tools needed), Internet (should be
> able to exchange MS Word, Excel format documents),  Multimedia (play songs,
> movies locally and from the internet). What should be my HD partition look
> like (e.g. /, /usr, /home, ... SWAP) given the above.

I would recommend you setup LVM during the install process.  With LVM,
you won't have to worry about figuring out what size the partitions
should be.  If you happen to make one too big and could use the space
somewhere else, you'll be able to move the partitions around on a
RUNNING SYSTEM.

LVM will definitely give you the most flexibility, which is what you're
going to need on such a small HD.

Regards,

Kanwar
Systems Aligned Inc.