Cut and Paste

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Jul 8 14:30:25 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Jul 7, jonathan jefferies did say:

> Hi Stef and all,
> I just checked and gpm is running. Which leaves me thinking
> William is possibly correct that there's a config file somewheres
> that's not quite right. I did check the non-X logins i.e. F1-F6
> and found that I can copy and paste but have to use the left
> and right mouse buttons not the left and center. Which I "think"
> is new behavior. Any suggestions as to how to get "X" to
> do the same??

I don't think thats "new behavior" for gpm... I've been using gpm for
non x sessions since I was a slackware 3.5 user. And on every linux
distro I've tried since, that's exactly how gpm works.

I don't know how to get X to do the same exact behavior you describe,
but then I don't use a wheel mouse... What I do use is a two button
mouse and until fedora ( I think it was FC2, but it could have been
FC1) every linux I ever had that detected my ps2 mouse simply
set the x mouse setting "Emulate3Buttons" to "yes" Which causes the
middle button to be emulated when I hit both the left and the right
mouse buttons at the same time (it doesn't work to hold one then tap the
other, but requires a two fingered jab)

When I went looking for why this didn't work in FC2 in the x configuration file
( look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or possibly /etc/X11/XF86Config ) I found
not one but two mouse configuration sections. the second one having
this comment block:

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.

In this second section, the "Emulate3Buttons" was set to "no"...
I fixed it to say "yes" and the next time the x server started,
"Emulate3Buttons" was working again.

Actually though, I'm hoping somebody replies with a method to get x to
use gpm's method where the right mouse button by itself pastes rather
than popping open a menu. As I find having to chord two buttons to
get it to paste to be a pain.

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #