DVD Playback Problem with ogle, xine, mplayer -- Totem results

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 8 15:02:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 09:46, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Here is the output at the terminal when I execute totem to play a DVD movie:
>
> $ totem
> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1-rc4a from http://xine.sf.net
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
> libdvdnav: DVD Title: TRANSPORTER_16X9
> libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 2E4E7B4F
> libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): TRANSPORTER_16X9
> libdvdnav: Unable to find map file
> '/home/charshaw/.dvdnav/TRANSPORTER_16X9.map'libdvdnav: DVD disk reports
> itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
>
> libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
>
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000012c
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000004da
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x000005ba
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x000005cf
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00001500
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0x0004f694
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x0005df0c
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x0022dc9e
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Found 5 VTS's
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
>
> I do get sound from the movie, and with Totem, I can play the movie. I
> still cannot get a music CD to play.
>
> Clint

Clint,

I guess the region is already set to 1 (North America).  I presume it's
a north American region DVD, otherwise it would probably not have gotten
this far.

Since you are hearing the audio, I'd suspect that the video output
device is the problem.  I'm not sure of all of the output video options,
but I believe you can specify which video device to use.  mplayer uses
the -vo option.  -vo x11 seems like the least common denominator (so to
speak).

To play DVDs, I created a link from /dev/dvd to /dev/cdrom (or /dev/hdc)
and just run mplayer with no parameters.  Using xine, I use the GUI to
select the DVD.  (A long shot) Since this is FC1 you might try booting
without the ide-scsi kernel command line option, but I cannot remember
having any problems with it.

Other than that I'm at a loss.  I Googled for "Suspected RCE Region
Protection" and saw two hits implying library incompatibility.

I set up yum to look at freshrpms and pulled both xine and mplayer with
all of their respective dependencies.  This works well on FC2 and I
think worked on FC1.  This is the stanza I use in yum.conf:

[FreshRPMS]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

One other thing, try killing magicdev before inserting the DVD. This is
probably not an issue either, but tends to get in the way.

As to the CD audio, is the internal audio cable connected between the
drive and the sound card?

Bob...