Problems Installing Fedora Core 2

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jul 8 16:21:25 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 08.07.2004 schrieb Kris Haight um 17:44:

> The first three are minor problems, then I will get to the big one.
>
> My System Configuration:
>
> AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 1.2ghz
> Asus A7V133 (KT133A Chip) Motherboard

I have the same board.

> Now on to the problems...
>
> Problem #1
> ----------
>
> I cannot use a USB to PS/2 Mouse converter with my Microsoft Wheel Mouse
> Optical USB. I can only use it as a USB mouse. This is not a total bad
> thing, but I like my USB ports free for other things.

Can't tell you something useful about that. I have the same mouse and
always used it as an USB mouse.

> Problem #2
> ----------
>
> Installer does not set the /boot partition as the active parition, instead
> it keeps my Windows partition as the active partition. This would not make
> grub accessible. Once I was able to change the active paritition to my /boot
> partition, I could get the grub loader screen, and load into Linux and/or
> Windows XP.
>
> Maybe I have not setup a dual boot system in a while, but I could have swore
> that the older redhat installers set the active partition to be the /boot
> partition (where applicable). Maybe I am wrong?

Disk Druid should do that. Actually I don't have in mind if there is a
forcing switch. I guess your problem comes from having not used the
Linux partitioner to partition your disk (see below). During
installation you can switch to console 2 by pressing Strg+Alt+F2 and
then run fdisk. "fdisk -l /dev/hdX" i.e. shows you which partition is
the active one.

> Problem #3
> ----------
>
> I get this message when installing..
>
> "Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another
> partition tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didnt have
> the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore, but ignoring may cause
> (fixable) problems with boot loaders."
>
> I just ignore it because I did at one point get linux to load, and it did
> not effect the boot loader.

Known issue, when you did not partition your disk(s) using the Linux
tools but partitioned the whole disk using a Windows[tm] tool, i.e.
Partition Magic. You may have luck, you may run into serious problems.
In general I suggest to not using any Windows[tm]/DOS partitioner if
running Linux in parallel.

> Problem #4 (The big one)
> ----------
>
> Problem: Installer locks up after I select "Custom", then select "Next" from
> the installer GUI.
>
> First off, I have to say that I did get it to install at one point because I
> used Text mode. However, even after I got it to install, it locked up on
> startup.

May I guess it is your graphics card?

> I can replicate this problem over and over again, and it locks up at the
> same exact place. I cannot get past this point.

Which point exactly?

> Things I've Tried:
>
> 1. Installing via text mode. Which works, but now locks up on startup
> 2. I've checked the CDs for errors, No problems using Media Check
> 3. Ram a Memtest86. Ran this overnight, no issues
> 4. Manually resized the hard drive with kernel params. Did not help (nor did
> not remove that error message)
> 5. Turned off Power Management in BIOS. Did not help.
> 6. Passed noapic noalcpic arguments to kernel. Did not help.
> 7. Thought maybe it was a heating issue. Took off covers, left it off
> overnight and tried again. No Workie.

At grub boot prompt press "a" and then remove at the kernel line the
parameters "rhgb quiet" and append a "3" (all without quotes). Then
boot. If that is successful and ends with a login prompt on console then
it is clearly caused by something with your graphics card.

> Kris

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Serendipity 18:05:11 up 1 day, 13 users, load average: 0.05, 0.05,