recomiling the kernel

Marcelo Manzato fed_usp at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jul 8 18:30:09 UTC 2004

Hi,

I recently tried to recompile the kernel on my FC2,
but when I boot using the new one I get the following
message:
"kernel panic: no init found. Try..."
I used the source from the FC2, and executed the
following commands:
# ln -s linux-2.... linux
# cp /boot/config... /usr/src/linux/.config
# make oldconfig
# make
# make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
# vi /etc/grub.conf
Here I let my grub.conf as the following:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/
rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img

title Fedora Core Modified
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /bzImage ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img

I also have tried to comment the line "initrd ..."
from Fedora Core Modified section, but even I got the
message "kernel panic: unable to mount root fs.."
(something like this).
What did I do wrong?