gdmgreeter and different window managers

Eubank, Chris RBCM:EX ceubank at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca
Thu Jul 8 20:27:36 UTC 2004

OK I think I might have found a workaround.  There is a bug here somewhere

- make a copy of /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/dm/gnome.desktop and call it
"wmaker.desktop"
- Edit wmaker.desktop Name=Wmaker Exec=wmaker

Then gdmgreeter passes wmaker to the legacy /usr/share/apps/switchdesk
rather than /usr/share/switchdesk, as it is called in Core 2.

I created a symbolic link back to /usr/share/switchdesk in the apps
directory and it allowed me to use the newly created window manager.  Seems
a pain in the ass way to go about doing it, but it worked so hey.

Anybody else feel this is a bug too? :)

Chris :)

Chris Eubank
***Any opinions contained in this e-mail message are solely that of the
author and do not in any way, directly or indirectly, represent my employer,
real or imagined.

***Caution, *nix powered air conditioner, do not open windows!