HOWTOs?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jul 8 18:13:06 UTC 2004

--- Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> Older versions of Redhat used to contain many of the
> available HOWTO
> documents in /usr/doc/HOWTO. Fedora Core 2 doesn't
> seem to provide these
> files anywhere. Can anyone tell me the reason for
> this (or where I might
> find the documentation installed if I missed it)?
> While these files are
> available on the net, it is nice to have a local
> copy in the case of
> problems and I want to save myself having to
> download (some of) them over
> a slow connection.

There are several reasons for this

1) Not all documents are reliable or updated as much
as others. We are doing what we can at tldp.org to
review these documents and contact these authors to
get the document updated or pushed out into the
unmaintained tree.

2) Some of these documents need to get updated very
frequently

3)Redhat may not want the liability for any incorrect
information present in these docs.

4) Many of them are completely irrelevant to
Redhat/Fedora Linux

I suggest you take a look at tldp.org. There are
documents available in multiple formats include
single/multipage html for online view and downloads,
pdf and text too.

regards
Rahul Sundaram