Waiting for Transaction Lock when installing rpm

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Fri Jul 9 14:25:09 UTC 2004

Due to a server crash last night, I'm temporarily setting up my workstation
as a mail server.  To that end, I'm trying to install some rpms for clamav.
I tried the normal rpm install:
	rpm -Uvh <rpm name>
and it seemed to hang.  I terminated the shell in which this was running,
and tried again, and got the following:
	warning: waiting for transaction lock
	error: can't create transaction lock

The process that was running the original rpm is still around, even when
trying to kill-9 it:
	root     31879     1  0 09:15 ?        00:00:00 rpm -Uvh
clamav-0.74-1.i386.rpm

Any thoughts on:
1) How to kill the previous process when kill -9 doesn't?
2) Any other way to get this rpm to install?

TIA,
 -Don