Sendmail and SMTP AUTH

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 9 15:39:36 UTC 2004

This question may off topic, but here goes:

Prologue:

My DSL ISP, bellsouth.net has informed its customers that they will
require SMTP authorization to send email through their servers.  I have
a small network at home consisting of a windows XP, a windows 2000, and
a FC2 box, and have set up the FC2 box as a relay for the other boxes in
the network.  I use define(`SMART_HOST',`[mail.bellsouth.net]') in
sendmail.mc.  This has been working well since long before FC2.

Now that bellsouth.net is changing their policy, it seems that each user
must reconfigure their email clients (Outlook express, Evolution and
Thunderbird) to send SMTP AUTH mail directly to bellsouth.net's server.
Bellsouth.net also blocks inbound port 25 and presumably outbound except
to their server, WRT my FC2 box.  Not much a point paying for that fixed
IP address.

The questions/problem:

Is there a way to configure sendmail to use SMTP AUTH between my FC2 box
and bellsouth.net, but not between my users and my FC2 box (short of
finding another ISP).  I would like to keep sendmail between my users
and bellsouth.net, at least for logging reasons.  I have 3-4 days while
bellsouth.net is accepting email with or without using SMTP AUTH.

In case there is no solution, where do I put the password when
configuring Evolution or Thunderbird.

On the email receiving side, I use Cyrus IMAP and fetchmail.  Nothing
here will probably require changing.

Thanks,

Bob...