AC 97 Sound Question & Other Comments

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jul 9 17:56:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Kris Haight wrote:

> Also, I reinstalled one final time and used fdisk to setup my partitions. It
> did not make that "Unable to align partition properly..." message go away.
> Well that is if, when I installed Windows, the Windows XP Installer didn't
> change it back. It probuably did, as I notice that size of my partitions
> varied between Windows Installer and fdisk and Disk Druid.

You might get around the disk geometry error by specifying the existing
geometry on the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf (add
/dev/hda=cyl,head,sect).

> Speaking of disk druid. It did not ask me anywhere if I wanted to make my /
> partition the active partition. So yes, I still had to do a 'rescue' and
> change it manually with fdisk. (incase anyone was wondering for their Dual
> XP/Fedora installations)

No that's right.  I filed a bug report about this recently and was told
that was the intended behavior.  It makes as much sense as the other--one
reason for not putting grub in the MBR is because you have another
multi-system boot loader (e.g., WinNT or BootMagic), and you need to chain
to grub to boot Linux.  In that case, making the grub partition active
would break things for you.  Should you have the option?  The usual
response is that newbies would find it confusing and experts know what to
do without the option.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences