Traffic shaping... don't understand the instructions!

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Jul 9 18:16:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:49, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 10:49 AM 7/9/2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > Since I really want to understand this better
> > > I'll likely take a couple of weeks to play with it
> > >

> >Ahh.. Shoot. Oh well. I understand.
>
> The problem is that I'm leaving Sunday for one week's vacation, and I
> really don't want to introduce any new factors to the building's firewall
> before I leave. I will also likely be out of touch (both phone and email)
> for the entire week, so very low odds that I can follow along on any
> discussions.

er.. I think the only one who's actually interested in understanding
what I'm trying to do is _you_.

> >integrate Wondershaper into it. So, you'll get the nice ACKS and TOS for
> >interactive traffic.)
> >
> >I'm not sure if I can do it, but maybe, I want to integrate RED/GRED
> >algorithm into the script and maybe that will get you better Inbound
> >Traffic control as well.
>
> I suggest you create several versions. First keep the very simple one and
> maybe improve/optimize it. Then create a slightly more complex one with
> Wondershaper integrated, and improve/optimize that one. Finally, create a
> third with RED/GRED integrated. Having all three versions will allow your
> HOWTO to offer users a choice of power/complexity vs. ease of use, and
> evolving from simple to complex will also make it easier for you to debug
> everything.

Wow. Didn't think about that. I'm leaning against something more
integrated but yeah.. I understand what you mean.

I see how things go.

I'm gonna try installing Linux on an external USB case this weekend. Got
a pal to loan me his external case. (mine didn't work for some reason)

> > > on a toy firewall before I hit my production box with it.
> >Man.. I wish I was you and have a couple of machines to play around wit.
>
> Find friends who are getting rid of very old boxes.

I'm trying to get some too. Not much luck though. Can I find some of
_those_ friends here?? :-)

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel