Iptables logging

Edwin Dicker edwin at dicker.nl
Fri Jul 9 20:12:31 UTC 2004

Hi All,

On my Iptables firewall some packets gets logged to /var/log/messages.
The messages file is getting unreadable with all these iptables logging and
I am looking for a better way to log these messages.
Since these are kernel messages my thought went to the syslog.conf file and
I configured that all kern.warn events should be logged to /var/log/firewall
( so they dont mess up my messages file ) after doing this it looks like
only half of the messages gets logged in /var/log/firewall and the other
half still gets logged to /var/log/messages.

Are there different types of severity concerning iptables logging ?
Has someone got a better idea to prevent messing up the messages file ?

Tia,
Edwin