(no subject)

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Jul 9 21:19:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 chicks at chicks.net wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> > I don't understand why you need multiple mac addresses.
>
> It boils down to wanting 5 routable IP's and the nasty cable company
> require one MAC for each IP they assign.  There is no rational reason for
> this, but they're addimant.

Can you put a switch between the cable box and the cable modem and then
just run five machines?

Do the Mac addresses have to be different for each IP?  You could just
bind all five to the same card.

It will be a real pain when the card on that IP address(es) fails and you
have to replace it.

Thinking about it, there is another solution, but i have not tried it...

If I remember correctly, ipconfig will let you set the mac address for the
interface.  I have never tried setting multiple addresses though.

I will check on the syntax.