FC1 upgrade from rh8, but running 2.6.7 kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 9 22:53:20 UTC 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 18:44, Rick Stevens wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;  Partial duplicate post since no one commented on
>> the first post in about 6 hours.
>>
>> yum seems to have self-destructed with its last update run a
>> couple of days ago.  It was working fine till after that, but now
>> I have at least 2 programs that don't run/compile.  Yum doesn't
>> run, returning this error:
>>
>> [root at coyote /]# yum update
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>>     import yummain
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>>     import yumcomps
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>>     import comps
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>>     import libxml2
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>>     import libxml2mod
>> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
>> undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
>> [root at coyote /]#
>> ---------------
>>
>> And I will categorically deny doing anything to my python install
>> that a yum update didn't do.  The only housekeeping I've done in
>> the last month was that I discovered I had 2 identically named qt
>> libraries, one in the qt3.3 tree, and one in the qt.3.1 tree, so
>> the whole qt-3.1 tree got nuked.
>>
>> Addendum, I fixed the grip compile problems from the first post by
>> moving copies of the libraries it was looking for from where they
>> were to where the *(&%^% makefile was looking for them.  Bad dog,
>> no bisquit.
>>
>> What packages do I need to get, update to and/or (re)install to
>> restore the yum  and/or python problem?  I think rpm is still
>> working.
>
>Have you tried "yum clean"?  I suspect your cache got wonked and yum
>doesn't like that.

Well, I just cranked up a cli to look for that, and got this:

[root at coyote root]# strings /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so | grep xmlByteConsumed
libxml_xmlByteConsumed
O:xmlByteConsumed

So that is there it seems, so we'll try your way :)

Uhh, no, same error:

[root at coyote root]# yum clean
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yumcomps
  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
    import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed

I hate being a PITA, but I guess I am :(
Next suggestion?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.